Skip to main content

Magic Mirror on the wall

TRP Challenge 6: Look in the mirror in a non-judgemental way


I still hold that one of the most traumatising every day tasks you can complete is to go bikini shopping. Especially if this is in a Topshop store (if you know, you know). I am under no illusion that many people would say I suffer from 'thin privilege'. I get this, and I accept this too. However, it is possible to loathe (and equally, and more importanly, love) your body at any size.


I used to hate the way I looked. I would stand in front of the mirror and pinpoint all the parts of me which I wanted to change, shrink, smooth, lift. I would spend hours, days even, fretting about different parts of my body and the way they appeared in the mirror or to others. I compared myself to others relentlessly. I never ever looked in the mirror and thought about the things which I liked or the amazing things which my body could do.


A few years ago my body was in crisis. All the muscle I had built up through being an active child & teenager was gone. My hair was falling out in chunks every time I showered. My skin was sore and dry, and I had bruises all over my body from sitting down and lying in bed at night. But the most harrowing thing was looking in the mirror and realising the person I once was had gone too. I remember going to a party and a stranger telling me that my eyes looked really sad. My Mum & sister say it was like the lights were on, but no-one was home.


During this period of my life I had a Jekyll and Hyde relationship with the mirror. I either spent hours looking into it, picking out all my flaws & beating myself up for the number of calories I had consumed that day, or I completely avoided my own reflection. I was scared to see who I had become, or more literally who I no longer was.


Over the past few years I have spent a good amount of time fixing my fractured relationship with the mirror, my reflection and, ultimately, myself.


As recently as a few months ago I still looked in the mirror in a critical way. The biggest shift was that I wasn't doing this every day. Some days I would look in the mirror & think how good my outfit looked. On others I would admire the definition I had gained from working out. I would still have the odd day where I would avoid my reflection or would be critical of the way my stomach looked bigger in the evening than when I first woke up.


One day I decided enough was enough, once and for all. I am making a conscious decision to still look in the mirror, but not too often. And when I do so, I look at myself in a neutral or positive way. Even if my stomach is bloated, my legs are pale & my face is bare, I will still appreciate the things my body can do and the beauty in my flaws.


I am learning that my body is literally the only thing which gets me through every day. It helps me to get out of bed in the morning, walk to the office, get through a day of meetings & work, jump, run, spin & do whatever else in my work outs each day. My body obviously loves me, so it's time I started to love it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life isn't all sunshine and roses

In the grand scheme of things, I am a very lucky person. This isn't me being boastful, I'm stating an obvious fact which many of us cease to notice the majority of the time. I won the biological lottery. Well I came in joint first with my twin sister. Sharing is caring. Not only did we win the great sperm race, we also hit it pretty lucky with the life we were born into. I was brought up by a loving family, in a small market town, with lots of friends and relatives around me. I hit the jackpot in having a twin sister, which meant I always had my best friend by my side, and someone who would fiercely defend me to the bitter end. I went to a good school & have a university education. I have a well paid job and live in a lovely flat in a quaint town with a stranger who has become one of my best friends.  When you have a life like this, it's easy to think you should be happy with what you have. But I'm not happy. I'm not sad, but I'm not happy.

Some paths are meant to be travelled alone

TRP Challenge 8: Travel somewhere new, alone Visiting somewhere you have never been before really is one pf the most exhilarating & exciting things you can experience. It takes you out of your comfort zone and opens up your senses to everything going on around you. It is so easy in our day to day lives to get lost in work, relationships, money or what to have dinner that we forget to stop and appreciate the amazing things around us. Immersing yourself in somewhere new means you can fully embrace all of the small things which make each place so unique. I've always travelled with other people. I have been interrailing a couple of times, and had the absolute time of my life. I have been to India with a group from school, I've been on countless family holidays and had some of the best weeks of my life on holiday with my school friends. I feel very lucky and privileged to have been able to see so many countries and experience so many different places. However, until recently 

We travel not to escape life, but for life not to escape us

TRP Challenge 9- Taking a leap of faith and travelling alone Spontaneity hasn’t always been my strong suit. In fact, for the first 21 or so years of my life I preferred careful planning & knowing exactly what was happening down to a T. I didn’t like surprises. I planned out my weeks, days and sometimes even hours.  So how did I go from that to leaving my well paid graduate job to backpack solo around South East Asia?!  When I began recovery from the eating disorder which had forced me to become even more regimented in my planning, I started to force myself to not plan everything. I’m not going to lie, it’s an ongoing process. Before I came away, I still planned my weeks meals on Sunday night, regimentally made my breakfast & lunch the night before work. I attended the same gym classes every week, had an identical bed time routine every night. I planned my weekends at the start of the week. I always knew what I was doing the next day.  It all changed when I